Sunday, November 9, 2008

Palette Mania

BEAUTY

WANNABE




Aloha!



Well I’m back with another installment. I was on a quest to get the perfect travel makeup kit. The quest finally came to an end however. Though I still haven’t gotten my hands on the Too Faced Mini Quickie Chronicles set from Sephora, I do have quite a good start for my travels. So I may put that wish on the back burner for a while.


I would love to be able to haul my complete collection of Urban Decay and MAC eyeshadows along with me on every excursion off the island. But it’s just not practical. Also, I’m still a tomboy so I can be a little rough on things. So to lose my entire eyeshadow collection to some accident or due to an airline mistake would devastate me. So I decided to invest in a few eyeshadow palettes to try to be glamorous both on the road, and when I’m at home. It’s a work in progress.....Maybe I missed my calling as a makeup artist. Hmm.....


Anyways. The first up in my newest additions is my Too Faced Glamour 2 Go Eye Shadow, Lip Gloss & Blush Pocket Palette. It’s cute and holds a lot to be so small. Pretty good deal at $19.50 for the Beauty on a budget.








Cute aint it? (Yes I’m originally from the South--Georgia if you must know.) Ok, so here’s what I think of this Too Faced palette. While it’s cute and all, the colors were a bit mute for me. I like my eyeshadows bright and often dark. However, everyone has different tastes. If you’re looking for something suitable for work, or you are just more low-key with your makeup, this should fit into your makeup kit quite nicely.







The first shot is of me with the eyeshadows, blush, and the darkest colored gloss from the collection. I like it. The eyeshadows I am wearing are the peachy-mauve and brown on the right eye (your left), and the green and slate blue on my left eye (your right). Blends okay, and a great deal for the money.


The next palette I chose is the Sugar Cosmetics Round the Clock Punch Out palette.










I used the yellow and green on my right eye. The yellow looked kinda goldish on me. I used the bright blue and black on my left eye. I like the brightness of these colors and they blend alright. But the black--no likey. It goes on washed out and kind of fades into the background like a nerd at a school dance.


The Sugar Cosmetics Round the Clock Day Job palette is a little better than the other one. You have to pile it on to get the color payoff you see in the container. But it’s understated enough for work. But I’m a rule breaker--who cares what they want! LOL! Here’s what the palette looks like...







I would consider these Sugar palettes to be the upscale, luxury version of Wet’n’Wild cosmetics.


I had a surprise in store for me when I bought the Kat von D palettes. I was so skeptical about the color payoff that I didn’t purchase them for quite a while. There are 3 eyeshadow palettes in this line, and you can only get them at Sephora. There’s the True Romance Eyeshadow Palette-Metal Orchestra, the True Romance Eyeshadow Palette-Beethoven, and the True Romance Eyeshadow Palette-Ludwig. I didn’t get the Ludwig palette. It’s a bunch of neutral colors. I try not to be too neutral too often when it comes to my eyes.


Here’s a pic of the other two palettes though...











The one with the blues and grays is from the Metal Orchestra palette. And the second one is from the Beethoven palette.








The Metal Orchestra palette has a silver cream eyeshadow. That was my first experience with a cream eyeshadow. The blue on my other eye (same pic) ended up more on my cheek than on my eye. I guess I have to use more UDPP next time.


The second pic is the light and dark purple, while the third pic was initially gray and yellow. Let’s just say this light colored yellow was a NO NO on me, and I went over it with gray and blue. No need to embarrass myself further online. You can already see my unibrow growing back in. :P


Word of caution for the Kat von D and the Sugar Cosmetics palettes. DO NOT DROP THEM OR BANG THEM AGAINST ANYTHING, even in your purse, if you can help it. Trust me. I learned the hard way with the Punch Out palette. Let’s just say, that’s the second time I bought that particular palette. I still have the other crumbled mess too.


And for the finale.....the Smashbox Smokeout palette. Oh yeah! Loves it! A perfect find for the smoky eye newbies like myself. I know it's been out a while. I'm late on this one.









The second pic is me wearing the green, and the smoky, glittery green. The third pic is me wearing the gray, and the smoky, glittery gray. I know they look similar side by side, but I think they would pop more depending on what you’re wearing and the light. I probably should have gone over the corners with a little black, but hey it’s 3:30 in the morning here and I’m getting tired.


So here’s my take on the newest haul. I will definitely be taking the Kat von D and the Smashbox palettes with me on vacation. The Too Faced palette will be with me when I tool around town or am somewhere where I’m real worried about my colors staying perfect. The Sugar palettes will travel too, but they will be in the checked baggage and wrapped with bubble wrap rather than in my carry-on backpack with the others. Also, you KNOW my Urban Decay Book of Shadows palette will be in my carry-on, with the Tarte The Vanity Limited Edition palette also bubbled wrapped in my luggage.


If you’ve tried any palettes that are noteworthy, either positively or negatively, drop me a line! I’d love to hear from you.


Kiss kiss!

No comments: